In England and Wales, state education is provided through the operation of a partnership between; central and local government, the Diocese (for faith schools), other interested parties, school governing bodies, headteachers and school staff. The law requires schools to have a governing body representative of these stakeholders who will, collectively, oversee the strategic running of the school.
Governance at St Loys
Overview: Governing Roles
- Foundation Governors – Foundation governors are local people with a connection to the church and some must also have children at the school.
- Staff Governors – the Headteacher together with one teacher and one member of the non-teaching staff who are elected by the school staff.
- Parent Governors – are elected by the parents of the children at St. Loys.
- Community Governor – individuals from the community who have the skills and experience the governing body require
- Clerk to the Governors
Overview: Governing Responsibilities
Having a strategic role means that the governors work in partnership with the HeadTeacher to decide what they want the school to achieve and set the framework for the realisation of this. Essentially, Governors should support the aims and objectives of the school safeguarding the interests of the school and its pupils in the wider community.
Overview: Expectations of the Governor role
Within the remit of the role Governors should:
- Set appropriate aims and objectives
- Agree policies, targets and priorities
- Monitor and review policies, aims and objectives, and evaluate effectiveness and success of these
- Support and promote appropriate partnership and collaboration with other schools within the MAT, the Diocese and the local authority
- Work co-operatively and collaboratively with other governors in the best interests of the school and attend full governing body and committee meetings regularly
- Understand that the operational management of the school and implementation of plans and policies of the governing body is within the remit of the Headteacher and senior school staff
Our Governing body
Damien Trevatt – Chair, Safeguarding and Community Governor. Appointed 23/5/19. Damien.Trevatt@stloys.co.uk
Julian Roberts – Foundation Governor
Jos Kirkwood – Foundation Governor
Frank Hunter – Foundation Governor
Kathryn Crawford – Headteacher
Susie Addison – Teaching Governor. Committees: Standards and Curriculum. Appointed 01/11/15
Antonia Lanyiova – Parent Governor